photoA10_ReligiousReligious workers include ministers of a religion who are authorized by a recognized denomination to conduct religious worship and perform other duties usually performed by members of the clergy such as administering the sacraments, or their equivalent. The term does not apply to lay preachers. Religious vocation means a calling to religious life, evidenced by the demonstration of a lifelong commitment, such as taking of vows. Religious occupation means a habitual engagement in an activity that relates to a traditional religious function.

What Type of Religious Workers are Included in this Category?

  • Clergy members
  • Monks and nuns
  • Religious instructors or cantor
  • Catechists
  • Missionaries
  • Workers in religious hospitals
  • Religious translators or broadcasters

What are the Requirements for an R-1 visa?

The visa holder must:

  • Be a member of a denomination that is affiliated with a bona fide nonprofit, tax-exempt religious organization in the U.S.
  • Has been a member of that denomination for two years immediately preceding admission to the U.S.
  • Be entering the U.S. solely to carry out work for the religious denomination or for an organization affiliated with that denomination.

How Long are R-1 visas Issued For?

R-1 visas can be issued for a maximum of five years.